Welcome, Andrea Downing! I’m so pleased to have you on my blog today, sharing your holiday secrets, your recipe for White Christmas Pudding and an excerpt of your newest story, LAWLESS LOVE.
Be sure to leave a comment for a chance to win a copy of Andrea’s book and to be eligible for the $25 B&N gift card (drawing to be held in January from all the commentators on Holiday Cheer).
- Egg nog or hot chocolate? OOOh, love ’em both, but as I’m sitting here with a hot chocolate at the moment…
- .Share one of your favorite holiday memories. One Christmas, when we were living in Buckinghamshire, England, we woke to find hoof prints in the snow on our lawn. Of course, it was Santa’s reindeer!
- What is your favorite Christmas tradition? When my daughter was small, I used to write these long poems and print the verses out on separate sheets of paper. Each verse gave a clue to where another small present and another verse was hidden in the house. Kept her busy for a while! 😉
- What is your favorite holiday song? ‘Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas’ definitely. Unfortunately, it brings tears to my eyes.
- What is your favorite holiday movie? I’m a sucker for ‘Elf’.’
- What is something on your gift wish list? A cowboy, of course! Ho ho ho…
- What is the most important thing about the holidays for you? Being with my daughter and other family.
- What do you leave for Santa? A glass of Port and a mince pie–very British.
- What do you do on Christmas Eve? Have Christmas dinner #1–we’re a very international family and some of us were brought up with the big meal on Christmas Eve, so we now get two big meals… Don’t ask about my weight, please.
- Do you have a Christmas morning tradition? Is there something to do other than open presents?
- Do you wrap as you go or do you do a marathon wrapping ‘party?’ Believe it or not, I’ve already wrapped most of my gifts–in one sitting. Who wants to get out all that tape, ribbon, wrap, tissue and whathaveyou several times?
- Where would you spend the holiday if you could go anywhere in the world? If I could have the family with me, and we could all fly in for just a couple of days, it would be in Wyoming. That would be a definite White Christmas, but I can’t stand the negative temperatures for too long so it has to be fly in/fly out.
- What is your favorite holiday dish? Chestnut stuffing, a real comfort food if ever there was one.
- What is your favorite holiday treat (pie, cake, cookies, etc)? Traditional Christmas Pudding–also known as Plum Pudding or Figgy Pudding–soaked in brandy (and I do mean soaked), lit with more brandy and then swimming in custard/creme anglaise.
WHITE CHRISTMAS PUDDING
A traditional Christmas pudding must be made months in advance but here’s one that takes minutes and can easily be made Christmas Eve. If you can’t get all the ingredients locally, they can be ordered from Nuts.com and delivered to your door in a day or 2.
2 pts. or 1 ltr. Softened vanilla ice cream
2 Tbs. warmed sherry
2 ozs. Raisins
2 ozs. Currants or dried cherries
2 ozs. Chopped mixed nuts
2 ozs. Glacé (glazed) cherries
2 ozs. Mixed candied peel.
- Soak raisins and currants or dried cherries in sherry for at least 2 hours.
- Stir the soaked fruit, nuts, cherries and peel into the ice cream.
- Press into a pudding basin or similar (I actually use a soufflé dish), cover with foil and return to freezer for 6 to 8 hours to harden.
- To serve, stand for about 10 -15 minutes or dip bowl quickly in hot water, unmould on to plate and decorate with holly, etc.
And as it’s Christmas, I’m happy to give away one digital copy of my first book, Loveland, to someone randomly chosen who has left a comment. Good luck!
Lacey Everhart has carved out a tough existence in the wilds of 1880s Wyoming, working hard to build a secure life for herself and her younger brother, Luke. She will stop at nothing to protect what’s hers and keep them safe. Even if it means keeping a secret that could destroy their lives.
Marshal Dylan J. Kane is a man who considers everything as black and white, right or wrong. He’s never seen life any other way until he sets eyes on Lacey. Suddenly the straight and narrow that he’s followed has a few twists and turns. Loving Lacey offers the home life for which he hankers…but can he really love a woman who seems to be plain lawless?
Lacey thought of fluttering her eyelashes, but it was such a silly thing to do. How could women act like that? She just looked up at the marshal and waited, the possibilities turning over in her mind, flitting through her head but never settling.
“You wanna tell me what really happened now so we can try to sort this matter? All I can do is promise I’ll do everything in my power to sort it for you, but I cain’t help you less’n you tell the truth. You tell me lies and make me look a dang fool, there’s nothin’ I can do. You understand that?”
Along with the tiniest nod, she clasped her hands together. She looked up at Dylan Kane and saw kindness in that face, a face she could so easily have loved had things been different. She could sense the heat radiating from his body and knew if she touched his chest, a strength would exist where his heart beat. If she ran her hand down his arms, she would find that same strength in his muscle. How she wanted those arms around her! All her life, it seemed, she had looked after herself, cared for her brother, struggled to make a home for the two of them. What would it have been like if Morgan had not…
“Lacey?” Dylan’s soft voice brought her back from her reveries. “You ready to tell the truth?” With one gentle finger, he lifted her chin so their gazes met for a moment before they each stepped back from the brink of something neither could control. “Lacey?” he repeated.
“Yes, I’m ready.”
Where to fine Andrea on the web:
WEBSITE AND BLOG: http://andreadowning.com
Twitter: @andidowning https://twitter.com/AndiDowning
AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE: http://www.amazon.com/Andrea-Downing/e/B008MQ0NXS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0
LAWLESS LOVE: (full release Sept. 4)