Welcome, Carra to Holiday Cheer! Thanks for sharing your holiday secrets with us, as well as the really yummy looking Texas Chocolate Cinnamon Cake. I’m diffidently going to make it this holiday season!
Be sure to leave a comment for Carra to be eligible for a chance to win a copy of her book A SANTA FOR CHRISTMAS, as well as the $25 Barnes and Noble gift card Anna Kathryn’s giving away at the end of Holiday Cheer.
1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? Egg Nog, please.
2. Share one of your favorite holiday memories. As a child, my parents would take us to downtown Dallas, Texas to view the decorated store windows depicting Santa’s workshop, outdoor scenes with elves and furry animals, and cozy living rooms on Christmas morning.
3. What is your favorite Christmas tradition? Everyone has a stocking with their name in glitter.
4. What is your favorite holiday song? Hark the Herald Angels Sing.
5. What is your favorite holiday movie? The Christmas Shoes with Rob Lowe.
6. What is something on your gift wish list? Something off the wall – a long handled shoe horn.
7. What is the most important thing about the holidays for you? Family and being together.
8. What do you leave for Santa? Cookies and milk and carrots for the reindeer.
9. What do you do on Christmas Eve? Plans always vary, this year our son, daughter—in-law and grandson will stay with us to wait for Santa.
10. Do you have a Christmas morning tradition? Santa Claus, stockings, breakfast then gifts.
11. Do you have a real or artificial tree? Artificial after several developed allergies to the real ones.
12. What tops your tree? A star.
13. What’s your favorite holiday quote? You’ve stumped me. I don’t have one. 🙂
14. What color lights do you put on your tree? Our new tree has all white, but I prefer multi-color.
15. Do you wrap as you go or do you do a marathon wrapping ‘party?’ These days I wrap as I go, my back protests the marathons.
16. Where would you spend the holiday if you could go anywhere in the world? Where ever I have family.
17. What is your favorite holiday book? The Night Before Christmas.
18. Do you have a favorite holiday decoration? I have two. My daughter’s clothespin toy soldier made in grade school and a hand drawn reindeer by my son at about age 4 that we laminated to hang on the tree.
19. What is your favorite holiday dish? Tamales win hands down.
20. What is your favorite holiday treat (pie, cake, cookies, etc)? Pie. We usually fix pumpkin, sweet potato, chocolate and pecan.
TEXAS CHOCOLATE CINNAMON CAKE
2 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter
4 tbsp. cocoa
1 c. water
1/2 c. shortening
1/2 c. buttermilk, yogurt or sour cream
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. butter
4 tbsp. cocoa
6 tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 lb. box powdered sugar
1 c. pecans, chopped (optional)
Combine flour and sugar. Bring butter, cocoa, water and
shortening to a boil in a saucepan (do not leave
unattended!) and then pour the mixture over flour and sugar,
beating well all the while.
Add buttermilk (you can substitute 1/2 cup milk with 2
teaspoons white vinegar), eggs, vanilla, soda and cinnamon.
Mix well and pour into greased and floured 9 x 13 pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes.
Five minutes before the cake is done, melt together butter,
cocoa, milk and vanilla for icing.
Pour hot mixture over powdered sugar and beat. Stir in
Spread on cake while it is warm, as soon as it is taken from
Good to take on picnics and trips. Keeps well and can be
served straight from the pan.
Merry Hernandez has lost both her father and her brother in the last year to unfortunate circumstances, and, due to a bad economy, stands to lose her business, Very Merry Events, as well.,. No one is spending unnecessarily for parties they can plan themselves. While that is bad, she regrets most not participating in the Riverwalk Christmas Pageant in San Antonio, Texas, where her father always played Santa and handed out toys to the children. Will the handsome stranger and his father be able to help her fulfill her dreams?
Sam Claus has journeyed to Texas with his father to help him make a young woman’s Christmas wish come true. Due to the older man’s illness, Sam doesn’t see a way to help Merry Hernandez. Throughout their evening together on Christmas Eve, too many circumstances occur that he can’t explain. Will Sam be able to turn the tide of events in her favor?
Will Sam and Merry realize their special connection and reach their Happily Ever After?
Learn more about Carra here: