Welcome my very good friend, Marie Higgins. Marie is sharing, as has everyone else on Holiday Cheer, her Christmas secrets and her book DREAMING OF YOU. Be sure to leave a comment for a chance to win an ecopy of Marie’s book, as well as a $25 Barnes and Noble gift card (to be awarded at the end of Holiday Cheer).
1. Eggnog or hot chocolate? Definitely hot chocolate!!
2. Share one of your favorite holiday memories. I’ll probably always remember this particular Christmas as one of my favorite memories. When I was young (can’t remember exactly what age), my aunt & uncle and their three young sons moved to Utah to live. That Christmas they had no money. My parents sat us kids down (I have an older brother and a younger sister) and asked if we wanted to help our cousins out. I think my brother and I knew the truth about Santa, but I don’t think my sister did. Anyway, it was decided that we would tell Santa to give our gifts to our very young cousins. It was hard at first, knowing that Christmas morning we would not be rushing into the living room to see what Santa had brought us. We knew we’d have gifts from our parents and grandparents, but that was all. Yet as Christmas neared, my family felt the true meaning of Christmas, and it was a wonderful feeling!! Christmas morning when we awoke, we were in for a big surprise!! There were TONS of presents under the tree. We found out later that one of my mom’s cousins heard about what we were doing for our younger cousins and so she bought us lots of toys. To this day I’m still overcome by the Spirit of Christmas whenever I think back on that special day.
3. What is your favorite holiday song? I have a few, but I think my overall favorite is “O Holy Night”.
4. What is your favorite holiday movie? I have two, actually, but I probably lean more toward one than the other. Even though I see these movies almost every Christmas, I still bawl like a baby while watching them. lol
5. What is the most important thing about the holidays for you? Family!! This summer, both of my daughters moved away from Utah (home) and were living in Nevada and Idaho. My husband and I were devastated, especially as the holidays grew closer. What was the use of celebrating if our daughters and grandkids weren’t going to be here to join us? Thankfully, my younger daughter isn’t living in Nevada any longer and she and the grandkids will spend Christmas with us. And…my other daughter will be here for Christmas, too – as long as we go get her and bring her here.
6. What tops your tree? Stars are pretty, and traditional, but I’ve always liked the Angel, probably because I think of how the Angel stood above baby Jesus when he was born. This year, however, our tree is smaller and doesn’t quiet hold our big Angel on top so we had to put a star there. But…the Angel is still nearby.
7. What color lights do you put on your tree? I don’t like the colorful lights for some reason. I like blue and white.
8. Do you have a favorite holiday decoration? The Nativity. I have a few decorations of the Nativity in my house, and if I see a lovely one at the store, I’ll want it, too.
9. What is your favorite holiday dish? Honey-baked ham and cheesy potatoes for Christmas dinner! Of course, where I come from we call the cheesy potatoes “funeral potatoes” because this dish is usually served at funerals. But all joking aside, this combination of potatoes and ham is the perfect Christmas dinner, in my opinion!
10. What is your favorite holiday treat (pie, cake, cookies, etc)? FUDGE!!! Oh, and I also love Applesauce cake, which my mother has made for years. Here is the recipe:
½ cup butter,softened 1 cup chocolate chips (or you can use raisins)
1 cup sugar 1 cup nuts
1 egg ½ teaspoon cloves
1 ¾ cup flour (or so) 1 teaspoon cinnamon
¾ teaspoon baking soda 1 cup applesauce
Blend butter, sugar. Add eggs. Add applesauce with soda. Mix well. Add spices, choc chips and nuts. Add flour. Bake 350 for 50 minutes in greased and flour bread pan.
My Christmas book, “Dreaming of You” is centered around family for the holidays and has a lot of Christmas traditions in it.
Katelyn Palmer never believed any harm could come from using her college crush as the hero in her first romance novel—the novel that jumpstarted her writing career. However, when Shane Hunter storms into town, demanding to meet the writer who used his identity Katelyn is confronted with more than her long, silent emotions. If Shane takes her to court for invasion of privacy, her career would be over.
Shane doesn’t know how to act when his ex sister-in-law accuses him of having an affair while he was married—and then shows him the romance book as proof. Now he wants to know who this author really is and why she used his name, and most of the events in his life for her story. Desperate to know the truth Shane befriends Katelyn but he does not expect to be attracted to her, even more unexpected is the joy he finds watching his twins fall in love with the woman who is stealing his heart, too…
Buy from Amazon for only $2.99 – http://amzn.com/B00A6G5JO0
And check out of my other Christmas books –http://mariehiggins84302.blogspot.com/p/christmas-inspirational.html
Marie Higgins is a best-selling, multi-published author of sweet romance; from refined bad-boy heroes who make your heart melt to the feisty heroines who somehow manage to love them regardless of their faults. Visit her website / blog to discover more about her – http://mariehiggins84302.blogspot.com
Find her on Facebook – facebook.com/marie.higgins.7543
And Twitter – @MarieHigginsXOX